Spice Things Up With A Mexican Twist On Tryptophan Filled Turkey Dogs
Sometimes you just need something different for dinner. You don’t have to have a party to serve up a sweet sleep inducing treat. Fun for all ages, these delicious dogs wrapped in tortillas and fried to perfection are just the thing to hit the sweet spot and get you ready for bed. Served with a spicy queso fundido, you’ll love this twist on classic turkey dogs.
Queso Fundido Turkey Dogs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
8 corn tortillas
8 Uncured Turkey Dogs, like Oscar Mayer Selects
⅓ cup olive oil
1 10 ounce can of tomatoes with green chiles, like RoTel
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 cups high melting point cheese, like Asadero or Velveeta toothpicks, for securing wraps
1. Add cheese to a saucepan or crock pot and warm on medium-low heat. When cheese begins to melt, fold in tomato chile mix and spices. Stir well to blend. Turn heat to warm, and prepare your dogs for dipping.
2. Wrap tortillas in a paper towel. Place them on a microwave safe plate and warm in the microwave for five seconds; flip tortillas and warm them again for an additional five seconds.
3. Heat ⅓ cup olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
4. Wrap tortillas around turkey dogs and secure each with a toothpick. Leave hot dogs whole or slice them into fours to form tortilla dog bites.
5. Place the wrapped hot dogs into the heated oil and fry until the tortilla is golden crisp, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.
6. Transfer hot dogs to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
7. Give the queso fundido a good stir. Transfer queso fundido to a serving bowl and enjoy!