Overcoming any addiction deserves a treat. Sometimes you need to remove yourself from old situations and find yourself new joys, and the best way to do that is with some old-fashioned ice cream. Nothing beats creamy vanilla ice cream laced with decadent almond nougat made from scratch. Especially when it doubles as a healthy treat!
Caramelized Almond Nougat with Vanilla Mousse Ice Cream
Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
For this recipe you’ll need the Dole Yonanas Frozen Dessert Maker. Well worth it, because there are many recipe books for other decadent desserts out there. In the event that you don’t have it, just swap the frozen bananas out for 1 container of your favorite vanilla ice cream, make the almond nougat, fold it in, and serve.
Vanilla Mousse Ingredients:
1 cup Greek yogurt, vanilla flavored
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped
¼ cup brown sugar or sugar substitute
2 large egg whites
¼ cup honey
1 container of your favorite vanilla ice cream
1. Pour Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and almond extract into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until it forms soft peaks. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
2. Heat a medium saucepan on medium to medium-high heat.
3. Pour in brown sugar, and melt. Do not stir; swirl the pan to prevent burning whilst melting the sugar.
4. When melted stir in the chopped almonds. Pour onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to cool.
5. Whip the egg whites in a second mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
6. Heat the honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until it thins. Slowly add the honey to the egg whites. Whip with an electric mixer on low.
7. When the honey is incorporated, increase the mixer speed to high; when the bowl is no longer warm and stiff peaks have formed your meringue is ready.
8. Chop up the almond pieces on the cookie sheet, and fold into the meringue to create a sweet nougat.
9. Remove the mixing bowl of vanilla mousse from the refrigerator.
10. Fold the mousse and nougat together, then fold the mix into the vanilla ice cream until well-incorporated.
11. Spoon into individual bowls and serve with a waffle biscuit or chocolate sauce.
12. Freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to one month - it probably won’t last that long!